The idea for this post came to me because right now the last thing I want to do is write. Spent my first day in New York and I spent it in platforms which though preferable to walking in heels is still nowhere as comfy as flats or trainers which is what you should really be wearing when exploring those New York blocks.
Because of my ridiculous day in unrealistic shoes I am now cranky, I can’t work up the energy to change to jammies and I really really don’t feel like posting. But it’s not the first time I have felt like this and it won’t be the last; if I gave in all the time, I’d never write.
So here are a couple of tips for fighting the sandman and writing:
1) Drink water – There is nothing like water for refreshing the body.
2) Talk to yourself – Become the character you are writing about or simply mumble encouraging words to yourself.
3) Have a look at images to inspire and energize you
4) Play music with a catchy and loud beat – Who knows the song may become part of your story’s soundtrack.
5) Write only what you are excited about - If the topic you are writing on is dreary or doesn’t give you goosebumps, it’s best you do it in the morning.
6) Start from the middle - It’s easiest if you are not starting the work from scratch or writing something that will use up too much brain power
7) Threaten yourself
8) Promise yourself rewards if you reach a certain word count or some other kind of goal.
9) Have someone stay up with you
10) Pray - a little prayer for strength will gave you that extra energy boost.